- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated, peeled jicama
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Maple syrup, optional
Combine flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs and chipotle pepper in separate bowl; add to dry ingredients mixing just until moistened. Gently mix in the dried cranberries, corn, jicama, cheese, pine nuts and green onion.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes each side, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with cilantro and drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
Makes 8 fritters.
2010 Ultimate Cranberry Recipe Contest Finalist
Roxanne Chan, Albany, CA